Welcome back to term 3, this term we have launched into our new topic ‘Moon Zoom’.
Overview of Learning: The children will be immersed in a space based project. The focus in English will be targeted on aliens and space facts using and deepening a number of skills within their writing. In Science the children will learn about different materials. In Design and Technology children will learn to design and make a vehicle for a planet. In Geography they will begin to understand the world we live in and the other planets that surround us. History skills will be developed by learning about the astronaut Neil Armstrong. In Computing the children will learn to program a Beebot whilst it is in role as an astronaut on a planet! In Music the children will learn about pitch and create space sounds creating atmosphere.
Stunning Start: The Crash! – A space rocket crash lands in the school playground
Marvellous Middle: Science – Exploding rockets!
Fabulous Finish: Exhibition for parents of work produced, especially DT.
Discrete Subjects: Maths will continue to focus on place value alongside addition and subtraction skills. Art is a discrete subject this term focusing on creating a piece of work for the Towner Project. PHSE focuses on goal setting and caring for our environment. RE focuses on the story of Moses. PE is split into gymnastics where balance will be explored and dance with a focus on movement and exploration.
SMSC: Spiritual – Learning about oneself, others and the surrounding world; Moral – To understand right and wrong in the classroom and in the world that we live in; Social – Use social skills to complete tasks; Cultural – Appreciate how history has changed the world we live in and how inventions have influenced this.
British Values: Listening to one another. Tolerance of others.
- Children can come into Elm classroom and be supervised by a teacher from 8.45am. Please leave the classroom by 8.55am so that we can start our school day promptly.
- Please make sure your child has a named water bottle in school every day. Water only, no juice or squash.
- We will hear children read regularly – please support us by bringing their reading books, reading record and word challenge folder in every day.
- Please hear your child read every day and record their reading skills in the reading record. Your child will have a word challenge folder – please support them by practising the words so they can confidently read and where possible spell the words. A maths activity will also be sent home on a Friday and should be returned by the following Thursday.
- PE is now on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Please make sure your child has a full named kit in school. Kits should stay in school and will return home at half term. If your child wears tights please put a spare pair of socks in their PE kit please.
- Your child must have a warm coat every day in school.
- If you or another relative would like to help out in Elm class or any other class please let us know, even if you can’t commit to a regular slot we always welcome an extra pair of hands.
Don’t forget that if you have any questions, queries, or concerns, please come and see us.