Welcome to term 4 in Elm class.
Topic: Splendid Skies
Class Themes: Seasonality and Weather
Overview of Learning: The children will be immersed in observing and enjoying their surroundings. The focus in English will be targeted on developing writing skills to create recounts, non-chronological reports and poems. In Science the children will discover facts about the local environment and will begin to notice the seasonal change and weather patterns. In Geography they will learn about the place we live in compared to another European country. We will then discuss the similarities and differences in the climate and features of the countries. History skills will be developed by learning about Sir Francis Beaufort. In Music the children will learn about pitch linking to weather patterns and themes.
Stunning Start: Local environment walk – seasonal change
Marvellous Middle: School Visit
Fabulous Finish: Musical performance. Poetry reading.
Discrete Subjects: Maths will continue to focus on measurement and weight. Fluency skills will continue to be taught daily. Art will continue to focus on creating a piece of work for the Towner Project. PHSE focuses on keeping healthy and the use of medicines. RE focuses on Palm Sunday and the Easter festival. PE is split into gymnastics where balance will continue to be explored and games with a focus on ball skills and development. In Design and Technology children will learn to use woodwork tools.
SMSC: Spiritual – Learning about oneself, others and the surrounding world and the festival of Easter; Moral – To understand right and wrong in the classroom and in the world that we live in; Social – Use social skills to complete tasks; Cultural – Appreciate how diverse our world we live in and celebrate differences.
British Values: Listening to one another. Understanding and using rules/instructions to stay safe. Tolerance of others and their beliefs.
- Children can come into Elm classroom and be supervised by a teacher from 8.45am. Please leave the classroom by 8.55am so that we can start our school day promptly.
- Please make sure your child has a named water bottle in school every day. Water only, no juice or squash.
- We will hear children read regularly – please support us by bringing their reading books, reading record and word challenge folder in every day.
- Please hear your child read every day and record their reading skills in the reading record. Your child will have a word challenge folder – please support them by practising the words so they can confidently read and where possible spell the words. A maths activity will also be sent home on a Friday and should be returned by the following Thursday.
- PE is now on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Please make sure your child has a full named kit in school. Kits should stay in school and will return home at half term. If your child wears tights please put a spare pair of socks in their PE kit please.
- Your child must have a warm coat every day in school.
- If you or another relative would like to help out in Elm class or any other class please let us know, even if you can’t commit to a regular slot we always welcome an extra pair of hands.
Don’t forget that if you have any questions, queries, or concerns, please come and see us.